Thursday, April 8, 2010

Touch and the Spirit of Scratching an Itch





Have you ever been touched by someone against your will? Has someone's touch ever made you uncomfortable or felt distinctly unpleasant?


I'm not talking about instances of sexual abuse or harassment, or being manhandled by someone with the intent to do harm. I'm talking about ordinary, everyday situations with essentially well-meaning people. For example, perhaps as a child you had someone in your life -- we'll call her great Aunt Griselda -- who insisted on smothering you in bear hugs whenever she visited, even though you --- allergic to Auntie's perfume and unable to breathe while in her embrace -- tried your best to avoid her. You did not want to offend her -- she was mother’s favorite aunt and all in all a very nice lady -- but you really wanted to stay out of hugging distance because she was oblivious to your discomfort. Or maybe you've been to a fancy hair salon where you get a shampoo-with-shiatsu-massage before your haircut. This is pure bliss when the shampooer/masseuse is sensitive, perceptive, and tuned into you... and a tension-inducing, uncomfortable ordeal when she is not.


It’s the same thing with scratching an itch for a horse. When we are sensitive, perceptive, and tuned in we help Horse experience "scratch ecstasy" -- shown by an upper lip pursed and stretched forward just as far as it can go, the craned neck, the body leaning into our touch. If we are insensitive, oblivious, or mechanical in our approach or in our actions... we create tension and unpleasantness.


Sensitivity and awareness need to come into play before we ever lay fingers on the horse's body. Why are we choosing to do this? How do we approach Horse to make the offer of a scratch? How does he feel about our being close to him, about us touching him?


It seems to me that best reason for offering Horse a scratch is to bring him relief, comfort, and pleasure in our company. It's a simple act of kindness, done out of genuine affection. The side effects of this are that it helps improve communication between us and brings us closer to one another. That’s great, and much to be desired. But I need to beware, to be aware of what is going on with me, so that I do not start unconsciously using this pleasurable activity as a "technique" to somehow manipulate horse. Turning what should be an act of kindness and an intimate act of affection into a “tool” or “trick” for better horse “training” is a perversion to be avoided at all costs. So, in my eagerness to form a friendship with Horse, to have him like me, I need to be continually aware not only of what I'm doing, but why I'm doing it.


In all my interactions with horses it is helpful to continually ask myself -- as Imke Spilker recommends - "why do I do what I do." In the proper spirit of scratching an itch the best answer is probably something like: " I'm doing this because I like Horse and want to do something nice for him that shows him how much I like him." If that's not my honest answer, then it might be better to do something else.


It should go without saying that we would never force a horse to submit to having us scratch his itches by holding him or tying him up or otherwise restraining him. And yet, far stranger things have happened in the relationship between human and horse. Countless horses every day are forced to submit to what should be pleasurable activities -- being groomed, being massaged, being bathed. How must it feel to be given a massage against your will? Can you imagine anything beneficial resulting from that?


There's a damaging attitude or underlying belief (often unconscious) that has to be chucked if we are to stay in the proper spirit of scratching an itch -- namely, the belief that says I have the absolute right, or “should” be able, to touch Horse whenever, wherever, however I please. That attitude is a hangover from countless centuries of treating Horse as property, as an unfeeling piece of "livestock," and it is completely incongruent in a relationship of courteous acquaintance, let alone a genuine friendship. Just as with another human being -- I touch Horse only with permission. I enter his personal space only with his permission.


It is easiest to “understand” horses when they have plenty of room to move. When a horse is in an open space and he knows he is free to walk (or run) away from me whenever he pleases, it is usually pretty clear when he is saying “yes” and when he is saying “no”. But, in close quarters, a box stall, for example, it is not always so easy for a horse to freely express himself. Such situations require me to be especially attuned. I must be extra alert for any little sign that Horse is not welcoming my approach -- a slight tensing of his body, or perhaps only of his lips, or chin, or jaw, or ears; a slight turn of his head away from me, ignoring me, etc. I must be careful, too, to avoid blocking him with my body -- cornering him.


Certainly I do not want to play the role of Aunt Griselda to the horses in my life, nor do I want to be the oblivious masseuse. So, the offer to scratch an itch, must always be just that -- an offer which Horse is free to accept or refuse. And, when I’m actually touching Horse, I owe it to him to stay as aware, as open, and as receptive as I am able, to ensure that I am indeed giving pleasure rather than causing distress. "Where do you need me to scratch?" "Is this hard enough?" " Too hard?" "How does this feel?" Those are the sorts of questions that should be running through my mind as I try to sense what Horse is feeling as I touch him.


How does it feel to do something for a horse without wanting anything in return?








15 comments:

  1. I am currently working (haha) on this scratching with my horse, she is starting to like it, which in other words means that I am maybe learning to tune in correctly :)

    I am still worried when she starts to scratch me back, she is so quick to use her teeth in it. It's difficult to know if I should use more or less force to avoid her teeth so I usually just position myself so that she cannot reach me.

    Thanks for reminding of this Imke-mantra! (why do I do what I do)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you kindof react a little uncomfortable when she uses her teeth, she'll quickly get the idea only to use her lips. I find I start shrinking away a bit if a horse starts reciprocating too hard with the scratching, and the horse will back off a little. Shows how sensitive they are compared to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris wrote:
    >>But I need to beware, to be aware of what is going on with me, so that I do not start unconsciously using this pleasurable activity as a "technique" to somehow manipulate horse[s]. Turning what should be an act of kindness and an intimate act of affection into a “tool” or “trick” for better horse “training” is a perversion to be avoided at all costs.<<

    Once again we realize that it is our "heart", our "intentions" that are what matter most to the horse, and what she reads effortlessly even before we touch her. We who might try to use itching as a "key to the horse's house" without coming from the right intentions will find the horse feels affronted by our touching him and (if allowed the liberty) will quickly take leave of us.

    From my perspective while these things can be discussed, to bring our awareness to them, they cannot be taught--yet so many "trainers" will coach their students to "praise" their horse, or "reward" their horse through touching, scratching, release of aids, food rewards, etc. which have not much meaning or connection for the horse if there isn't "heart" behind these actions. The things we offer the horse through genuine feeling of her (the heart of love flowing through our intentions) is where real connections are made...the rest is merely mechanical action absent of that "magical essence" that brings to beings into harmony.

    Another terrific post, Kris, bringing a deeper level to our understanding of touching/scratching horses. Thank you for your "words about horses"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, June, and Lynne -- Thank you for reading and for commenting.

    Jenny I know exactly what you mean about that little bit of fear that comes up when a horse is too enthusiastic with her grooming me...I try to be very aware of the fear and then "show" the horse (mentally) how very tender my skin is and how gently I would enjoy being scratched. Sharing feelings is a big part of this process for me. You'll experience moments of just knowing how your horse feels and she knowing just how you feel -- genuine togetherness.

    I think sometimes our clothes can complicate things. My thick winter jacket greatly "muffles" the effect of the horse's teeth. It's an entirely different matter when I'm wearing a thin shirt, or my bare skin is exposed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne, you're right that the kind of heartfelt interaction we're talking about cannot be taught -- but I think it can be "learned" through experience, direct perception. It's the epitome of "learning by doing." :-) We can hone our perception and awareness... and then the "learning" becomes easier and easier.

    I would embellish what you said as follows: Most traditional horsemanship education is based on a very "mechanical" model -- do this, and horse will do that, etc. Feelings are not part of that model. Dialog is not part of it -- communication with horse is one way. That traditional kind of education leaves people looking for methods, recipes, instructions -- which do not exist for the kind of "knowledge" we discuss here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 99.99% of the time, I scratch the horse to give it pleasure, but occasionally it's a way of saying "thank you!" or "yup, you heard right!" Feelings are important, and our great task is to learn to focus in a horse-like way on the energy of the moment. However, as humans we have the gift of language which provides in some way a one-to-one correspondence between sign/symbol/word and thing. This can indeed become "mechanical" as you say. However, it is a significant part of the way we think and communicate, and it is truly a gift. Just as we try to adopt the horse world-view (or re-discover it within ourselves), I think horses can adapt a little to a language model and learn to talk our kind of talk also. If the horse wants something, he points to it with his whole being. We humans can also point to it with a word. Neither is better than the other, as long as both ways are respected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vashka is very sensitive to my coming into his space for any reason and so I have been asking before entering, and then I do so very slowly.

    At first he stands very still, as if frozen. Then there is only an ever so slight sign of relaxation and then I can see his lips scrunch and his eyes soften. However something happened yesterday, immediately after our scratching time together, that perplexes me.

    Vashka began yawning and yawning and yawning and..well yawning!

    This continued for at least 3 or 4 minutes. My understanding is that such behavior is/can be a sign of release for a horse and this has me asking what it is Vashka would feel he needs releasing from? I really do "think" I am respecting his yes's and his no's and I am hoping that our entire scratching time is entirely pleasant and not causing any tension which needs releasing.

    Has this ever happened to any of you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I've noticed yawning - but it's not like with us, where there's a big intake of breath - it's an opening of the jaw, with a release, I guess maybe, of tension held in the jaw. I know I hold a lot of tension in my jaw and have to constantly remind myself to let it go - I think that's typical of humans. Perhaps it is of horses too .... ? Do you notice a side-to-side movement of the jaw as well as an opening?

    It does seem to happen at significant moments - but I have yet to determine what it might signify!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skode wrote: "My understanding is that such behavior is/can be a sign of release for a horse and this has me asking what it is Vashka would feel he needs releasing from?"

    Horses, like people, can carry tension in their bodies from feelings/events that happened a long, long time ago... Sometimes they/we carry tension for a whole lifetime if nothing is done to encourage release.

    When I began meditation practice about 20 years ago, I often noticed an arm or a leg "twitching" or giving a small involuntary jerk during a session. My teacher explained that this is extremely common -- it is old tension being released as we come into a deep, relaxed state.
    In other words, it was not the meditation that caused my twitching -- it was the old the tension.

    Similarly with your scratch session and Vashka. I would hazard a guess that Vashka was releasing some "old stuff." Can you remember how you FELT (not what you thought) just as Vashka started yawning?

    How did he seem after his yawning was finished?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kris, this is amazing timing, as I just finished my own morning meditation after which I cried (but not in an unhappy way, but rather in a releasing way)!

    To answer your question: After scratching with Vashka I felt tremendous peace.

    In fact since we have started this "new way" of being together that is how I feel around him in a very palpable way -- peaceful and relieved.

    Yes I do admit I miss the happy, "up" feeling of riding (Vashka has made it clear he doesn't want to ride for now so we are taking a break) I also admit that it such a RELIEF to drop the agendas with him. And he seems relieved -- so happy to wander his four acres in the desert with his filly, Raya, so relieved to nap in the sun whenever he feels like it, so safe to know that when he sees me it is not because I want something from him but rather want because I want something with him.

    Just now, when I wrote the word "safe" a knowing occurred for me about Vashka.

    Ah.

    Now this is all making a lot more sense.

    Thank you :)

    Lori and Vashka

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the inexhaustible science of scratching an itch. It is great to see this topic expand and grow.

    I remember those aunt-giselda hugs as a child, the slobbering kisses, and then having to endure them all over again when I moved to California. Where I came from, this kind of thing was reserved strictly for aunts and grandmothers....and you endured, and wiggled out. How often do you see photos where the human poses for an intimate photo-op smothering her horse and the horse is silently screaming "get me out of here!!!" The hardest is to learn how to deeply tune in and be aware of the slightest disconnect. And you cannot possibly enter into this kind of connection when the horse s not at liberty.

    It is high-itch season here in Northern California. The combination of the shedding, the continuation of rain well into what is usually the beginning of the dry season, the high grass has lead to a proliferation of pestering insects, ticks, and now (very unusual) mosquitos. With so many spring irritants, the pond has been very popular with the horses. It is such a delight to watch the horses pawing the water and then dropping down and wallowing in cool, liquid bliss and all itching stopping instantly. What a contrast to these forced bathing sessions with the horse in cross-ties, head up, and dancing around to escape the faucet.

    Last night around dusk the biting insects were hovering around Shadow's body with him snapping at various parts of his body, and I found myself slapping all over mine to deter the pests. I removed a tick from between Shadow's jaws and scratched, and he stretched his neck in ecstasy. But all of a sudden he walked away as if on a mission, heading straight to a bald spot of dried, crusty mud, plopped down, and rolled, and rolled, and rolled. The itching was just too much and needed more drastic relief than I could provide.

    How is that for feedback?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eva,
    Your comment made me laugh. Neither Desna nor Khe-Ra would EVER voluntarily walk away from me during a scratch session. They'll stay there as long as I'm willing to keep at it.... Kochet, on the other hand, will MARCH off (on a mission) the nanosecond my touch is not to his liking....

    Either way, the feedback is very clear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just wrote a sketch for a beginner's guide to this kind of being with horses and I thought "learning scratching" would be step 2 in it :)

    Here's the blog entry, would love to hear your thoughts if you have the time.

    http://jen-ska.blogspot.com/2010/04/beginners-quide.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jenny,
    I checked out your blog entry... Thank you for mentioning it here.

    You've created a very nice guide for beginners.

    In my own case, "step 1" was a drastic "attitude adjustment". I needed to let go of my agenda, let go of my sense of entitlement and the idea that I had a right to expect obedience and compliance from my horse. I had to learn to be a polite, respectful guest in the horses' world rather than a demanding, overbearing "horse owner."

    Until I went through that attitude adjustment, the horses were not going to be all that happy to have me hanging around. :-)

    Also, because we're each unique, our horses are each unique and our situations are different -- one person's step 2 might be another person's step 5. Does that make any sense?

    Thank you again for mentioning your blog here. :-)

    Best,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are right - the very first step would be that attitude adjustment which I think could be found through reading books and blogs for example.. That too will get deeper along the way.

    Thank you for reading and commenting, Kris!

    ReplyDelete